Digital News

E-cigarette battery explodes in man’s pocket

mm
Written by Kamil Arli

An e-cigarette battery explodes in a man’s pocket inches from a baby’s pram in a busy shopping centre – sending bystanders scrambling for safety.

IF YOU DONT PAY MUCH ATTENTION…

If you don’t pay much attention to where you store your e-cigarette batteries, well, this video will probably make you change your mind.

 A CCTV camera in a shopping centre in Leeds recorded an e-cigarette battery exploding in a man’s pocket as he casually walked through a shop with a friend.

The man, who was left with slight injuries, had spare lithium-ion batteries for his e-cigarette loose in his pocket.

SEE ALSO:   Everything you need to know about Cloudbleed, the latest Internet security disaster

According to West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, the short circuit was caused when one of the batteries came into contact with a metal item in the pocket — keys or coins.

IT IS ALSO POSSIBLE THAT TWO BATTERIES SHORTED ONE ANOTHER

It is also possible that two batteries shorted one another.

“This footage clearly shows the dangers of storing batteries alongside any metal objects, be it keys, coins, or even your phone if it has a metal case,” Jamie Lister, Fire investigator, said.

SEE ALSO:   T-Mobile’s new unlimited offer is the best thing it’s done in years

“This is not the first time we have seen injuries caused by a lithium-ion battery exploding whilst being carried in someone’s pocket. We really want the public to understand the risks which can be easily avoided.
“There does not need to be a fault with the battery, the problem is the incorrect storage of the batteries.”

People, beware.

Source: mashable

About the author

mm

Kamil Arli

Editor of DigitalReview.co. Digital Media Consultant

Leave a Comment