The reports of exploding Samsung Galaxy Note7 smartphones have resulted in a massive recall according to news of Mashable. But for one individual that action may have come to late, and now he’s filing a lawsuit.

According to a report from Reuters, the lawsuit was filed on Friday by Jonathan Strobel, a Boca Raton, Florida user who says he sustained injuries on Sept. 9 after the Galaxy Note7 allegedly exploded in his front pocket.

In addition to the leg injury, Strobel claims that the smartphone burned his thumb when he tried to remove it from his pants. Strobel’s lawyer claims that his client suffered a second-degree burn on his leg and, as a result, the plaintiff is seeking unspecified damages for “medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering.”

92 reports of the batteries overheating in the U.S.

Although this is one of the first lawsuits against Samsung regarding the defective smartphone, more could be on the way. Last week, a 6-year-old child in New York was sent to the hospital after a Galaxy Note7 began burning while he was holding the device.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), “Samsung has received 92 reports of the batteries overheating in the U.S., including 26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage, including fires in cars and a garage.”

In an effort to avoid such accidents, major airlines and even the New York City subway system have urged users to avoid using the device while traveling.

As for the Florida case, when contacted by Reuters, Samsung spokeswoman Danielle Meister Cohen said, “We don’t comment on pending litigation.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here