Greg Baugues, a coder at Twilio, decided that teaching Kaira, his puppy, how to turn on the light switch wasn’t enough and took it to the next level by teaching her how to press a button that would snap a selfie of the pup and text it to him.
We caught up with Baugues so we could
play with Kaira learn how to master this tech hack.
What you need
Using some easily obtainable parts, some basic programming and the Twilio service, Baugues created a gadget that lets his pup be the millennial she truly is.
- Arduino Yún, $75
- Big red button, $10
- Webcam, $30
- Twilio phone number, $1 per month
1. Attach the big red button to the top of the box
2. Connect Arduino to the big red button, power source and webcam
3. Connect to the Arduino from your laptop via Wi-Fi
4. Write a short script that sends an MMS with Twilio
5. Write and upload an Arduino Sketch that runs the script when the button is pressed
6. Finally, give your dog lots and lots of treats until she figures out what you mean by, “selfie!”
It took Kaira a couple of
treats tries to snap the perfect selfie.
But when she finally hits her mark…
Voila! Your pup is ready for Instagram.
If you want to get into the nitty gritty of this hack, check out Baugues’ completehow-to.