Using We and I in Blogging
Today we are talking about using the words we and I. This comes from a question from Sally.
This show was prerecorded because I am on a beach in Thailand. If you would like to join us on the Gold Coast in Australia for the ProBlogger Event, you have just under two weeks left to save $100 on your ticket. You can get all of the details on ProBloggerEvents.com.
This question is from Sally (not her real name). Sally is just starting out blogging and doesn’t have a team. She has noticed some bloggers say “we” even though they don’t have a team. Is it better to use “we” or “I” when blogging.
In Today’s Episode Using We and I When Blogging and Does It Matter
- I’m sure a lot of bloggers can relate to this question.
- I know I’ve slipped into the “we” in the early days of my blogs because they kind of slid into being a collaborative thing
- I wasn’t trying to project I was bigger than I was, it was more of the collaborative nature
- In time, I had regular guest writers and a forum moderator, so I guess the “we” became more justified
- After I started hiring more people it definitely became a “we”
- I struggle with the flip side of this sometimes, I use “I” on my blog when I have a collaborative team working on the site and helping out
- I think it is a good idea to be as transparent as possible
- Using “I” can make you more relatable to your audience and show that you are just like them
- There will come a time when the “I” becomes a “we”, this isn’t a clear cut process and the transition may be muddled
- Stay transparent, and share your journey. Don’t worry too much if the lines become muddled.
How did you go with today’s episode?
I would love to hear other people’s opinions on this. When did you start using “we”? Do you slip into using “we” or “I” when you shouldn’t? I would love to hear your take on this subject.
Enjoy this podcast? Sign up to our ProBloggerPLUS newsletter to get notified of all new tutorials and podcasts below.
Never miss an episode – Subscribe to the ProBlogger podcast on iTunes
Got a Question You’d Like Me to Answer?
I base many episodes of this podcast upon questions answered by ProBlogger Podcast listeners and Blog readers.
You can use the following widget to ask a question. Please include your name and blog name (if you have a blog).
The post PB124: Using “We” When You Mean “I” – Does it Matter? appeared first on ProBlogger Podcast.
- PB118: How to Find Time to Create Your Blog’s First Product
- PB121: 7 Strategies for Overcoming Imposter Syndrome
- PB119: How to Choose the Right WordPress Theme for Your Blog